Welcome!

I love to cook but I feel like I am always making the same 5 things for dinner and that gets old quick. I decided to start this blog to make myself try new recipes. The goal is that I will find a recipe, try it out and then post it on the blog for others to try and review. I will also post recipes that I have yet to try, but look like they might be good. If you have a recipe that you would like to see posted on the blog, email it to me, or leave it as a comment.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Chili Beef Tacos


2 tbsp chili powder, or Mexican seasoning
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion(s), chopped
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
8 oz uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
8 oz canned tomato sauce
8 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
8 item(s) Old El Paso Regular Taco Shell(s), or equivalent product (about 1/3 oz each)
4 tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
4 tsp cilantro, fresh, chopped

Toast chili powder and cumin in a medium skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add oil to skillet and heat; add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add beef and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and beans; cook 5 minutes more or until heated through. (Note: To turn up the heat, toss in some chopped chipotle peppers with the tomato sauce.)


To assemble, fill each taco shell with 1/4 cup of beef mixture; top each with 1/2 tablespoon of sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon of cilantro. Yields 2 tacos per serving. Makes 4 servings.


Weight Watchers POINTS:6

2 comments:

Kristyn said...

I'm thinking of trying these this week. Are they called "Chili Beef Tacos" because the filling tastes like chili?

Kristyn said...

Made this last night and loved it! I had to use a lot more spice than listed (like twice the amount) but it turned out fantastic. Thanks laked!