Welcome!

I love to cook but I feel like I am always making the same 5 things for dinner and that gets old quick. I decided to start this blog to make myself try new recipes. The goal is that I will find a recipe, try it out and then post it on the blog for others to try and review. I will also post recipes that I have yet to try, but look like they might be good. If you have a recipe that you would like to see posted on the blog, email it to me, or leave it as a comment.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Grown up Mac and Cheese

I originally saw this recipe on 30 Minute Meals, I made a few modifications because my grocery store doesn't have most of the fancy ingredients Rachael Ray uses. Although it was on 30 Minute Meals, it took me longer than that to make it. It was very good, definitely worth the time. Enjoy!








Salt

1 pound Penne pasta or other short cut pasta

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 pound bacon, chopped

2 onions, quartered and thinly sliced

1 1/2 cup Chicken stock, divided

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 cup milk

Freshly ground black pepper

2 cups shredded Cheese (I use cheddar)

Pinch freshly grated nutmeg, to taste



Heat water for pasta, salt water and cook pasta according to package directions
While pasta water comes to boil, heat extra-virgin olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add onions and cook 10 minutes until soft and beginning to caramelize. Add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock and cook out, 1 minute.
While onions cook, heat a sauce pot over medium heat. Add butter, melt and whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute then whisk in remaining stock and milk and bring to a bubble. Thicken a few minutes then season with salt and pepper. Melt in cheese stirring it in a figure-8 motion with a wooden spoon. Add nutmeg and adjust salt and pepper. Drain pasta, toss with onions and stir in cheese sauce to coat. Top with crispy bacon and serve.

No comments: